Preparing to Host Overnight Holiday Guests
Whether it is your first time hosting overnight guests or you have done it before, there are several tips and tricks sure to make your guests feel comfortable, as well as take some pressure off of yourself, that will result in a happy visit for everyone. The more prepared you are pre-visit, the smoother your time together will go. Before your guests arrive, spend some time or an evening in the room where they will stay so you can get a feel for any adjustments that need to be made or additions that could be added. Here are some ideas to help.
You want your guests to be comfortable and not have to ask you for help. Spend time putting yourself in the space and thinking about what your needs would be and provide them.
- Make sure your pillows and bedding are comfortable and there is an extra blanket accessible
- Show them how to adjust the room temperature to their liking
- Set out a few magazines or books they might like to read
- Make sure they have fresh or bottled water available and a light snack
- If you are comfortable, show them where they can get food and drinks and your kitchen
- Get an idea of when they like to get up or go to sleep and invite them to keep to their schedule
- Make sure there is a night light in case they get up in the night
- Set out some paper and pens, along with pamphlets to local venues and tourist destinations
- Provide a space where they can store their luggage and if possible, an extra set of drawers or closet space where the can keep their clothes
- If they have children, put some books, stuffed animals and craft materials in the space
If possible, providing a guest with their own bathroom gives them a sense of privacy and a place where they can relax. Consider adding amenities, as a hotel would.
- Make sure there are plenty of accessible towels and washcloths
- Extra supplies like toilet paper and tissues should be visible
- Set out a tray or basket filled with some more indulgent toiletry items that will invite your guests to take a bubble bath or try a new shampoo or soap to create more of a luxury experience (and in case they forgot their own!)
Check out the diverse and spacious floor plans offered in C.A. Jones homes. We have a home design sure to fit your family and provide a comfortable room for guests. Whether family or friends are visiting during the holidays or during their vacation, our homes will provide space for everyone.
Launched in 1995 by Chris Jones, C.A. Jones is the only woman-centric builder in Southern Illinois. With roots in Southwestern Illinois in several communities in Madison County, we have expanded south to build “express homes” in new communities in St. Clair and Montgomery counties. Contact us today to learn what we have to offer. With over 1,600 designs and unique features including drop zones, hidden prep areas and kid zones, we have a housing option to fit every family. We are ranked among the top-15 largest home builders by St. Louis Business Journal. Our forward-thinking philosophy, business integrity and superior customer service make us the right choice to build your next home.